Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Parental Forum on Substance Abuse

We have been invited to participate in a parental forum for substance abuse amongst teenagers; it takes place tonight. We are excited because this will provide a further awareness of who we are, as well as the dangers that drugs and alcohol.

This comes at a pivotal time, especially, because I have been researching lately the subject of teenagers, substance abuse and parents. The combined search has proved to be very challenging to find research. I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for beyond a question of parental involvement (whether overly involved or more hands-off), but I do know I remain curious to the search results.

Upon first glance, it will appear that parents are ignorant. That they honestly have no clue the health risk, the dangers, that substance abuse exposes their child(ren) to. I have a hard time believing this, but there may be more truth to it than what I am aware of. What I did find interesting the warning signs that are always present. In this article I stumbled upon, warning signs are given; I think they parallel nicely to the Top 10 Reasons for Recovery. They both are fascinating to read; mainly because they emphasis again the dire situation of drugs and alcohol.

Tonight, presents an opportunity to raise awareness of hope. Not of behavior modification, but if a lifestyle regeneration. I will be posting pictures and providing an update tomorrow, so stay tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment